Saturday, September 15, 2007
A big goof!
Kat said that my blog must reflect what my term is a HUGE GOOF. Friday seemed to be a rather full day but it started out with good intentions but went down hill real fast. Remember...Pie making was the order for early morning. Most important thing to remember...Brown sugar will melt if placed in the micro wave to long. Pie making needs brown sugar for the topping. I put the bag of b. sugar in the micro to soften and when it came out it had liquified and instinctively when seeing that liquid was heading for the floor, I put my hand under the bag to catch the dripping sugar. Well, don't do that. I now have a hand that is filled with painful blisters. Uck! It took a spatula to dig the sugar off the floor. The sugar hardened immediately on the floor and on my hand. So...into the ice the hand went and it stayed there all morning while I was working the church desk. Thank goodness for time to do that. Last night I popped the blisters with a clean needle and I am determined to take care of this until it heals because for this reason, every time I pick up something with my left hand I'm REMINDED! I've had lots of practice with burns...glue guns, infected arm burn, pizza burn to the roof of my mouth all needing trips to the doctor are just a few I can remember. Dr. Goens reminds me often of all of these. The burns are bandaged and miracle salve used on the third degree glue gun burn are part of the treatment along with a rubber glove. I've gotten a safety paragraph from JB already. Thank you youngest son! Church was fine yesterday and my little group of workers started work at 1 and the letters were at the postoffice by 2:30. Yahoo. Kat and Eric came for supper and we all spent the evening being entertained by the little man! What a fun kid. My plan was to get him walking but he had other plans and of course his plans won out! Am I surprised? Not one bit. But it was LOTS of fun and hundreds of laughs just trying. This morning the redness has left the burn site and more med. has been spread around and I know I'll be fine. Just watch the sugar in the micro. I really did a dumb thing and you heard that from the source. The PIE was delicious. I think I'll do icecream next time even though I know Apple Pie is the tradition.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I'll send you our corporate PPE Standard. Personal Protective Equipment. I'm sure there is a paragraph on handling hot items.
Two words... OVEN MIT.
And remember that fancy thing above the stove heats items...and it's done without flame or electric element.
Be careful...
I am glad that you are taking good care of your burns. The terrible thing about sugar is that it sticks -- so, the burning just keeps on. I had a teeny-tiny experience similar to yours as I took some fudge out of the fudge pot yesterday -- it was hotter than I realized and kept on sharing heat with my skin because the sugar stuck so nicely. But, again, nowhere nearly as bad as yours. And the fudge was tasty . . .
And, even after that, you STILL made the pie!
Bro C...the pie was almost finished. I just needed to do the top which already had the butter and flower cut together. Well, I used white sugar because most of the brown was fried. Not nearly as good eating. I had cold packs in the freezer and it felt so good holding them while I finished. A job started needs to be finished if at all possible. Yah...Oven mits. That makes way to much sense.
I doubt that the substitution for brown sugar prevented the pie from being eaten up! How many pieces did Eric have?
Has Andrew been given a bite of his grandmother's apple pie?
Andrew...not yet. I can't believe I wrote flower for flour. I really must be somewhere else. Eric had one big piece. Brown sugar really makes the pie! Can you believe there still is one/half pice left? True, true.
Actually... I believe I said the story need to be on the blog because a "true" personal blog reflects the good and the bad of life. :-D Nothing about a "goof!"
And Andrew hasn't had pie yet because he refuses to eat anything with texture to it, beyond his purees. Which means other than a couple cheerios and a few tiny pieces of green beans, no table food has made it into his mouth.
Post a Comment