Thursday, December 27, 2007

What a whirlwind!

It seems like ages since I've recorded anything. Let's see. Christmas Eve. We went to two services, the 7:30 and the 10:30. Missed the 5 pm and folks at that service said...where were you? Good grief! They have got to get a life of their own. 7:30 was a little sparce in numbers. But...the 10:30 was magical as it always is. The music was some of the best and the readings and message was all that it should have been. The church was full. We got home around 1am. I was a little wired so finally to bed around 2.

Christmas morning the Michigan kids arrived I think around 10:00. We had a light lunch and Jacob and Adam opened their stocking gifts. Eric and Kat came at 4pm and then the big times began. It was so much fun to see the grandchildren really get it with all the wrapping paper. Well, the big kids were also fun to watch. We ate around 6 with Pasties shipped in from the Pasty Central Kitchen at Kearsage Michigan. It was suggested that Pasties become a tradition. I think it's a great one since the cook loves being on vacation. We had the big sizes and for the most part...all were members of the clean plates. We missed eating on the Michigan picnic table.

The day after Christmas we did a bunch of talking and Kimmy and JB took back the coffee pot that was my present that had missing pieces. They also got my last years Christmas toaster replaced with a new on since the old one went on vacation after 10 months of working. Wooo, Wooo. The JB family took a walk and played on the playground equipment. The day temps were really mild. We all played for hours with Jacob's new cars...Mater was the favorite. Eric, Kat and Andrew came for supper and we had the Indiana works...turkey, corn for Kimmy, mashed potatoes for JB/Eric/Kat and Kimmy, stuffing, Eric's favorite that most of us ate, pickles for Kat, cranberry sauce for me and apple pie for all. I thought the big kids would be unable to move from the table but they managed. ALL the food was no where to be seen. They ate it all. I do have a bit of turkey left for us.

This morning JB and family left for Michigan. They are stopping in Fort Wayne to see JB's college roommate here from Colorado. Dave has yet to see the kids. Doug headed off to excise and I to Bread and Bowl. I never have seen so much donated bread in my life. The freezers are full. Everyone had a loaf in their take home bag and there was even more bread around the room for those who could use more. And...6 garbage bags of bread went to other soup/kitchens, rescue mission places as well. It was a morning of hard work getting everything in it's right place. We had a record number of visitors fixing about 80 bags with 3 take home soups, pastries, two salads, cabbage and lettuse and a loaf of bread. I felt like we were feeding the 5000.

I forgot to mention that we dove into big sweet rolls that came from the Hilltop bakery at Lanse, Michigan. That was another well enjoyed treat.

I do think life is quieting down for all of us. We're back into our routines or getting slowly there. It's been a wonderful three days again with the family. Christmas 2007

No comments: