Friday, December 21, 2007

Decision made!

That's right...I made the decision to take it easy on my neck this Christmas. No singing in the choir for sure. Wasn't as hard as I thought it to be. And...I feel good about it. Doesn't mean that I won't be at church, just not in the choir. The choir is accompanied by a small orchestra and it will be beautiful. There is something magical about Christmas Eve.

Bread and Bowl was yesterday. We had a busy morning but LOTS of good help. It couldn't be done without a host of people. I worked at the desk yesterday afternoon. Two little Jr. High kids...one of them a North church kid that I have known since birth got expelled from school for fighting. Their mothers are the best and had them come to church all day yesterday to work together. These little kids have been friends for years but the North Church kid was to fast to react to what he thought was going on but really wasn't going on. We had a great working day with a whole bunch of conversation about the cause of the event among other things. Little Ben really squirmed his way through the conversation. And preacher Kevin talked about some uncomfortable times in school with a fight. The boys worked in B and B and then prepared candles for Christmas Eve. It was just a delightful teaching afternoon with a whole bunch of love flowing through the conversation. Supper was served at church by another group of folks for the neighborhood folks. And then it was choir practice where I sat and listened. Such a treat. The day started at North at 7:45 and ended at North at 9:00 pm. A long day for sure but a good one that took a ton of energy. I also had an encounter at the desk with a gentleman who insisted that I was going to give him $20.00 for a taxi ride to Plainfield. North does not meet those kind of transportation needs and that also was a VERY interesting experience. He told me that he would have me fired! That conversation started at 4:30, continued through the dinner hour with other church people and finally was over at 7:30 with a conclusion that was not positive for the wishes of the man. It's really interesting to hear what people think the church should do no matter what. I gave him some alternatives which he thought were terrible ideas. Working at the desk brings an unbelievable variety of experiences. Some you can believe and some that just are unbelievable. Makes for a very interesting day. This morning is my regular morning to desk volunteer. I need to look for candles for the choir to carry, place altar flowers, answer the phone,talk to people who come in off the street at this time of year looking for help and set up bell tables for Sunday morning. There must have been a reason for getting all the shoping and gift wrapping finished last week.

One Christmas day surprise was delivered to our front door yesterday. Yahoo. It's a fun one.
The family will love it. I LOVE SURPRISES for them!

1 comment:

Brother Cassian said...

Hmmmmmm -- think about what people expect a monastery guest house ought to do for them . . . . Interesting variations on your gentleman caller in need of a taxi ride, believe me.