Saturday, October 29, 2011

Sunny Saturday.

Another beautiful fall day in Indiana. I should go out and clean up the flowerbeds. I started last week with two huge containers for the garbage. If I do that weekly the place should be cleaned up sooner than later. Yesterday, the sewing machine hummed all day. I talked with SEM about wall hangings for the children's treatment rooms in the hospital and decided to get started. I sewed two banners 18x60 that have at least 6 different blocks cut from fabric African animal skins with an animal boarder. I think the renditions of the skins are really authentic looking. Lots of fun. After doing the first one and figuring out the dimensions the second one was easy. Today I'm starting on two more making the parts. The first two will each have seven brightly colored cars filled with lots of different buttons of different numbers and lots of trims. I want it to look like a wall hanging and not like a quilt so I'm thinking! I think after the cars are finished, I'll move on to trucks that will fill two more banners. That should do it for the treatment rooms. Three banners for each room along with the animal pictures that will be attached to the wall with paste should do it. We bought out Baby's R Us. Sarah Ellen continues to receive more recognition in Kenya for her child advocacy work concerning children and their health treatment while hospitalized. It's a new concept for Kenya as well as probably all of Africa. Doctors are learning to listen to questions raised by patients and parents. It's a slow process. I would guess about 60 years ago, Doctors were deficient in listening to patients here as well. Some still are. Sarah Ellen has Child Life nurses who stay with children during treatment. That's another unheard of effort! So...the treatment rooms will hopefully be a bit more child friendly. So...back to the machine and back to my sewing brain.

No comments: