Thursday, August 23, 2007
A busy Thursday
Today is Soup Kitchen Day. Our church has a 30 year program of feeding the hungry now held in our church community room. When I retired 7 years ago, I decided that working in the kitchen was something good for me to do. The cook retired 2 years ago at the age of 80 so now...I'm cooking. We make a huge pot of chicken noodle soup. I would think the pot could hold about 30 gal. Kroger gives us their pastries and bread and we buy lettuse for a salad. It's a pretty good meal. Today was in the 90's and we had a great turn out for food and for a cool place to eat. There were at least 65 people served in the hr. we were open. They also can take home at least 3 bowls of soup. We have a wonderful group of ladies and gentlemen on Thursday from ages 65 to 85 arriving around 9:30, serving between 11 and 12 and out of the kitchen by 12:30. It's a great way to keep in touch. Most of those who eat are men but at least 10 to 15 are ladies. You will find me there every Thursday morning at 8:30 making soup and getting other things ready for the workers who arrive soon after. This afternoon Doug and I are going to the farmers market located on the church parking lot. Doug gets his weekly supply of honey. I sit and talk. This has been another warm day in the upper 90's. Uck. I'd like a cool breeze which should come tomorrow when we ride on up to Detroit to a wedding of a friend we camp with and then on up to Midland to see the big children and fun little grandchildren. The big children are fun also.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Love the blog. We look forward to seeing you this weekend. Kimmy
It's great that you are blogging now. It's a great way to keep in touch with everyone. Sounds like a wonderful soup kitchen program and I can sure vouch for the cook. They couldn't have a better one.
Have a great day. Hope we get to see you this weekend. Penny
Oh, poor you, temperature in the 90s. Try day after day in the HUNDREDS!! A record month of heat in Atlanta! And yesterday was a record-setting day! And, of course, this all just worsens our ever-lasting drought.
That is why I am sitting at the computer right now -- cooling off.
I made no soup today -- I sand-blasted some glass and catalogued some books. This afternoon I will be putting out the ordos in the retreatant stalls so they can find the hymns and psalms for the offices next week.
Post a Comment