Time or maybe over time to write again. Less stressful week but I can't help thinking often about good friend Ellen who has begun a very intense program of chemo. Very intense. She is such a trooper but I'm the sad one thinking about her long unexpected journey into cancer...so I try to do things that make life a bit easier for her. The crockpot is busy, I made some hats. Her wonderfully curly black hair is gone at this point. And I'm delivering on Thursday a pillow with patches of flower garden quilt pieces to her place of treatment. Surprise Ellen. She sleeps a lot after treatments which occur every two weeks at this point. So...I'm hoping she has sweet dreams.
Ellen has taken many trips to Kenya with the Central Indiana, Western Kenya project called Umoja. I took one trip with her. She is a most talented person who thinks methodically outside the box and then acts on it with great success. Prayers for Ellen Daniels-Howell. She invited about 30 or so friends, she belongs to many bookclubs, to attend what she called a hair cutting afternoon at St. Lukes Meth. Church. Lots of wonderful poetry, prayers and music and then Ellen sat in the center of the circle with her beautician who shaved her head because that is a medical recommendation when hair starts to fall out with chemo. Some tears, some laughter, refreshments and great conversation that will allow us all to travel with Ellen in the months ahead. It was a wonderful woman's moment to be together. So prayers for Ellen and all of us who will be with her in the months to come. There will be about 4 months of Chemo if I have it correct, then surgery and then radiation. It's a long journey.
My sewing machine is home. It is so quiet when working. I think it enjoyed it's renewal. I'm enjoying it as well. I'm learning to quilt with the machine using free motion. Lots of fun. I'm also working on flower garden patches. It's ALL handwork which I started when the machine was gone. I'm loving it as well. My mother made me a huge quilt of more than 81 flowers before we were married. It's looking faded and worn and NOW I'm realizing how much work it must have been. What a mom!
Tomorrow is an eye doc. appointment at 8:20...I'll be up and out of here early. Wed. I'm back in bells, Thurs once again is Soup Kitche...Diane is back...Wooo...and choir. And in between I'll be making flowers with fabric. Snow is gone..none to come that I know of.
Monday, January 23, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment