Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A bummer few days!

As you might have remembered in the last post, I said I was going to see Cousin Ada and then on up to see the Mich. family. Well, some of that happened and some didn't. I wasn't feeling real chipper as Sunday rolled around but bull headed me!!! thought that I didn't want to change my plans. I haven't seen Ada in a long time and we were anxious to get together once again. So...on up to Goshen I went Sunday afternoon. Sunday night sleep was horrible. Coughing till I thought I couldn't do it any more. Lots of awake time with little sleep in between. But...Monday came and we did our trip around Goshen looking at quilt gardens, quilt murals on buildings and real actual wonderful quilts at the Goshen Bag Company. They were just tremendous. We went to the big Essenhous Restaurant and saw even more quilts. Now I felt like crap for some of this but just plugged on able to keep my mind off of what was an asthma episode unlike anything I had had in the past. Then in the early evening I realized that something else was going on which turned out to be another salivary gland attack this time on the other side of my face. I think my glands are wearing out big time. Wooo...that was miserable. And it turned out that sleep was even less then the night before. 45 minute start and then about 4 hrs of horrible pain with watching TV through out the night till around 3 when I realized that I had some Tylenol for arthritis which I took. Woo...the pain diminished and I slept until 6. Well, that was no way to start another leg of the trip to Michigan much farther from home without knowing how things would proceed. So...I headed back home at 8 and pulled in the driveway at 11 relieved to be home. Woo...that's a bunch of detail. Anyway...I've been taking it easy and feeling a bit better but still coughing more than I wish. The inhaler is a life saver. Slept in a chair for part of the night last night but at least I slept. Yahoo. I'm thankful for little things. This salivary gland thing is driving me nuts. I've got to learn new coping skills. I am determined to make this trip again and making it a successful one next time. Yesterday and today I sat a bunch, trimmed a bit of flowers, watched the birds and butterflies and Doug taking wonderful pictures of flowers, bugs, dead stumps and more. He's quite the photographer. Coughing is diminishing, the swollen throat from coughing is improving. But...taking it easy is my life tomorrow as well. The temp is in the low 70's during the day. What a treat.

5 comments:

Dee said...

It sounds to me as if you need to take your inhaler when you travel . . . I always carry my plastic bag of breathing helps . . .

I am glad that you got home and are feeling better. I read that Jacob was sorry his Grandma did not arrive. I am sure that will encourage you to make the trip soon.

Dust Bunny said...

When I get like that - I just cough up a big hair ball and feel a lot better. The AC/Food Provider is not happy however!

LR said...

Hair ball. I wish I could. I had my inhaler but I was way to far gone to make it work. The crazy salivary gland complicated things and the light didn't dawn until around 2 am. Slow learner. Still coughing but I'm doing better. I think!

The Mommy said...

You know... if you have an attack/problems that your inhaler doesn't clear... I guarantee there are instructions from the doctor to CALL HIM in that case. I'm pretty sure 4 days of coughing with only some relief from the inhaler would fall under those instructions. :) Copper Harbor is just around the corner. Make sure you have it under control and a way to control it should it go out of control again. Asthma: been there, done that.

The Mommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.