Saturday, April 22, 2017

A different week for sure.

This was a digging in the dirt week.  My favorite.  And I've dug...replanted...watered...fertilized...and then did it all over again. And every night I creamed my hands...I hate garden gloves.  The weather has been cool for perfect  digging, dividing and then moving plants to other empty spots.  All the herb plants are planted...need a few more.  Dill was transplanted and a marker made for that spot, Sweet Annie was pulled out.  I'm looking for the 4 o'clocks to appear.  We watched a Monarch.  Woo...don't see them  until Aug.  There is a huge plant sale at the Indiana School for the Blind May 1st.  Kids do the planting and the variety is awesome and the prices are wonderful. I bought cotton plants there two years ago.  Lettuce and parsley have been sewn.  Pots have been filled with free flowers given to me by friend Lydia who works at Sullivan's in the plant department.  Her boss said they were on the way down but I found them to be perfect!  Three flats of Proven Winners.  How lucky can I get!

Another friend Kelley gave me a whole tree of dead Curly Willow last year which now has been made into a trellis for Morning Glories.  That was a fun project that has been in my head for some time.  I hope raccoons don't attempt to climb it.   The branches are stacked and intertwined together  around a plant shepherd's hook and then tied together with fishing line.  I love tall things in the garden that gives the garden an interesting form.  Last night was really cool.  And the plants are all looking happy this morning.  I usually make a round early morning with my coffee cup to determine what will happen in the garden for the day.  Zinnia seeds went in last week.  The ground is warm!  Today...a little edging of another bed and I'll work on more seed planting  Doug hates my ditch edging.  Says he falls in the ditches!!!!!

Grandsons came yesterday.  Noah has been sick with the flu...yup...diagnosed by the doc on Tues.  So...he was a bit under the weather but perked up in the afternoon wanting to DIG. Temp finally left.  Well, I gave him the little trowel.   Big shovel was out.  He is my gardener for sure!  We hunt fishing worms and rolly pollies. Two weeks ago he dug a huge hole which I just could not fill in while he was gone.  He wanted to enlarge it yesterday but that request was denied.  Needed to get better.  Maybe next week although the hole will soon be in the yard and not in the flowerbed.  We'll need to talk.   It's been a very good week of dirting...Yes...a new word.

No comments: